[thelist] refresh rate [was wish list]

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Wed Jul 2 10:30:05 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> How far does this benefit go? What if you are a 70 and you move it to
> 75? Is "higher always better"? I've never understood the whole refresh
> thing. I just switched mine from 70 - 75 and notice no difference here

Well, it's the rate at which the screen is refreshed.  The phosphors in
your monitor are hit with a beam and they fade quickly, so the beam needs
to keep refreshing them.  If they are not refreshed quickly enough (say
60hz, or 60 refresh cycles per second) you can notice a visible flicker as
the phosphors are fading before they are refreshed.  Even if flicker is
not apparent, lower refresh rates can still contribute to eyestrain, cause
headaches, etc after extended use.

It's below 70 that the difference is really visible, but the higher you
can set the refresh rate the better - your eyes will thank you.

Just don't blow your monitor up :)

--
Kelly Hallman
http://wrack.org/