[thelist] Exchange 2k unable to relay

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Jul 2 13:51:52 CDT 2003

Tab Alleman <mailto:Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com> wrote:

> "Unable to relay for <the email address>"
>
> I know from a previous shop that there is some kind of security
> setting on our Exchange server (Win2k) that needs to be toggled to
> allow COM objects to send emails, but I haven't been able to find it
> so far.

Assuming the exchange server is the same server this script is running on you must excplicitly allow exchange to relay for a certain computer.

I'm not at my exchange server right now but under the SMTP virtual server you'll want to modify the Relay Restrictions. Normally people just prevent relaying altogether by choosing "Only from the list below" and leaving "the list below" empty. You need to add the ip address of the server that is trying to do the sending to that list.

There may be something else I'm leaving out, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct answer sooner or later.

Chris.

p.s. This email left at 11:50am PST, hopefully it will get to thelist before tomorrow. ;)

p.p.s. Tell your exchange badmin to join the Exchange list hosted by www.sunbelt-software.com. There's a lot of noise on the list but the people that participate are very experienced.