[thelist] complete: hacking contest

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Jul 2 19:07:32 CDT 2003

Emma Jane Hogbin <mailto:emmajane at xtrinsic.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 02:40:55PM -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> > http://www.msnbc.com/news/934055.asp?vts=070220031110&cp1=1
>
> That's cracking, NOT hacking. Hacking is not about vandalism.

"whatevs".

Ok so if these two groups are so different how is it that they somehow got confused? Reading the text you included with your email makes sense, I mean, I can see the distinction when it's explained that way and I've definitely read that sort of thing before. But still how is it that everyone (except true 1337 h4x0rz such as yourself) gets it wrong?

It seems to me that if two groups continuously get mistaken for one another there's got to be SOME reason for that.

Please educate me.

Chris.