[thelist] Object/Embed for RealPlayer in XHTML what to do?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Jul 3 16:28:37 CDT 2003

> http://www.alistapart.com/stories/flashsatay/
>
>  It describes how to markup the page and have it work both on IE and NN and
>*still* validate.

That article actually describes how various recent browsers handle the
basic visibility of a Netscape Plugin when using the W3C's desired OBJECT
tag rather than the EMBED tag which the browsers used for such content long
before the W3C figured out it wanted something different.

(Not all browsers handle basic visibility through that tag; of those that
do, not all handle additional features such as script/object
intercommunication, variable passing, parameter-setting, etc. The de jure
spec is a crapshoot; the de facto standard works.)

For more info, see the retype I invested here just Wednesday on the exact
same subject.... ;-)

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd