[thelist] ASP: More Selective Select

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Jul 4 00:22:11 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 12:58 AM

> y'all work with data dictionaries and/or schema scripts, right?

Gee, rudy, what's that?  Is that like opening up the database schema in
Enterprise Manager, or something?

We all know all good database admins use the GUI to create the database
tables, not scripts.

;-)

Seriously though, I agree with Rudy.  I personally follow his rules, which a
couple exceptions.

1.  Date fields ALWAYS start with date_... eg, date_created, date_updated,
etc... reason: so that it's obviously not a boolean.
2.  Views ALWAYS start with view_.... reason: so that I can know it's not a
table since views and tables are interchangeable in the syntax but have
different restrictions depending on JOINS within and without the view.
3.  Stored Procedures ALWAYS start with sp_... reason: heck, I don't know...
habit, I guess.
4.  Table names are all singular and VERY descriptive.  Assoc tables are
named table1_table2_assoc... no exceptions.  If it's a one-many, the "one"
table is listed first.

I agree to use tinyint instead of bit for boolean values... reason: you can
do cool stuff like Min() and Max() on tinyints... but not bits.  One never
knows when you'll need to do one of those.

<tip type="Photoshop" author="Joshua Olson">
If you are trying to do a merged copy from a JPG/PNG/GIF file in Photoshop,
but can't, take a look at your layers.  If all you have is a background
layer, the merged copy will not work.  Simply add a blank layer to the
document and try again.
</tip>

-joshua