[thelist] To License or not to License......

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Sat Jul 5 12:52:25 CDT 2003

CDitty wrote:
> While talking to a friend about a new script I am writing, he
> suggested that I license my programs out on a per year basis
> instead of selling them outright.  I was wondering what everyone's
> thoughts are on this

I suppose it all depends on what sort of scripts you're selling and
who your customer are, but in the abstract if I were the developer I
would prefer to minimize my admin costs and simply license the code
once (to be used indefinitely). If you want the ongoing income stream,
maybe sell an alternative license for X amount more entitling the
buyer to X % discount on future releases.

Again in the abstract, as a purchaser who builds small to medium size
sites, I would strongly steer away from an annual licensing structure.
I personally, as well as my clients, prefer the convenience of paying
once and being done with it, unless we choose to upgrade.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s
www.OnPointSolutions.com