[thelist] Re: how does this page look in IE6?

Gary McPherson genyus at ingenyus.net
Sat Jul 5 21:37:59 CDT 2003

> Might want to check what encoding the servers are sending the
> pages as, or if either one is adding a DOCTYPE adding on it's
> own (the latter I doubt, while the previous is about the only
> explanation I can think of for why it might serve a static
> page differently just because of the host). A different
> encoding enforced by the server to the browser could cause a
> different in the way certain spaces are rendered, not likely
> but as I said about the only reason I can think of, other
> than script parsing differences on the host which I'm
> assuming there wouldn't be before hand.

There's always a more obvious culprit in situations like these - human
error.

Sharon, I searched through both pages and besides the paths used for
links, found only one difference. Funnily enough, it is in the footer
table. I believe an incorrect path for the image used as a spacer may be
what's causing the deviation. On the exact-data server, the src
attribute is "download2_files/trans.gif", but on your server, it's
"download1_files/trans.html" (Note the incorrect extension). You can
observe the effect this causes by setting the borders for the footer
table to 1 - on your server, only one cell is displayed, while on the ED
server, both are shown. Have a look at it and let us know how you get
on.

Gary

P.S.
The border on the header makes so much sense it's unbelievable they
asked to have it taken out - I'd fight on to put it back in.