[thelist] Navigation design

Kristof Neirynck k.neirynck at belgacom.net
Mon Jul 7 12:47:47 CDT 2003

> Thanks I'll read that.
>
> Although if that's true .. the ups, the downs and the sideways, I don't
> think it's simple anymore and I'll probably opt for a drop down menu
> system :-)

No need for that.
Just put your links somewhat like this:

site nav
section nav
sub section nav
page nav
breadcrumb (you're here)
content (the page itself)

Where the site nav has 7 (+/-2) links to the main sections.
The section nav has 7 (+/-2) links to the subsections of the section you
are currently in.
The sub section nav has 7 (+/-2) links to the subsubsections of the
subsection you are currently in.
The page nav has links to the main parts of the page you are curently
browsing (anchors).

This is acording to me the most usable navigation.
Very few realworld websites gets this right. :(

Kristof