[thelist] creating PDF's from Flash and controlling resulting fonts

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Jul 7 13:58:51 CDT 2003

At 8:37 PM 7/6/3, klute wrote:
> The data (e.g. anual sales report) will be put into
> XML format and pulled into Flash to create various
> visual charts. The labels' fonts of these charts will
> need to be dynamic and probably truetype. The
> resulting charts with their labels will then be saved
> into PDF documents.

Thanks for the description... can I get deeper detail on some particulars,
please?

1)  Why PDF? Is this a client requirement, or are you seeking to transfer
to a particular device or platform, or encapsulate for offline use, or
enabled editing by officeworks, or just to eventually go to paper, or...?
What is the actual usage need here which the PDF translation will attempt
to satisfy?

2)  When will the compilation of data and presentation to the final
delivery format be done? Will it be done once on your authoring machine? or
will it be done on-demand at the server? or will it be done on-demand on
each of the various client machines? or...?

3)  Are there any platform or OS constraints at any stage of the process?

4)  Are there any constraints on which version of the SWF or other formats
will be used? (eg, "client specifies Flash Player 5 to get that extra 10%
consumer viewership" or whatever).

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd