[thelist] URL Parameters with... parameters.

Gary McPherson genyus at ingenyus.net
Tue Jul 8 10:32:14 CDT 2003

> Hey folks,
>
> I have a simple question that's been bugging me.  I have a
> redirect page used for tracking exit pages.  All links
> pointing to outside websites are sent to a page where the
> info is recorded and then they are redirected.  Problem is
> when the outside links have more than one parameter.
>
> /redirect.asp?page=www.website.com?param1=value&param2=value
>
> So, the page parameter is for my page.  param1 and param2 are
> part of the URL I want to record and redirect.  Problem is
> that my ASP page thinks that param2 is a parameter for my
> page, and not part of the URL.  I suppose param1 is not
> treated as part of the URL because it is not preceeded by an
> ampersand.
>
> Any ideas on how to make param2 (and any more parameters that may
> follow) to be ignored?

What you should do is use the Server.URLEncode method to encode the URL,
then append that to your redirect.asp path like this:
"/redirect.asp?page=" &
Server.URLEncode("http://www.website.com?param1=value1&param2=value2")

Which would result in a url looking something like this:
[path]/redirect.asp?page=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewebsite%2Ecom%3Fparam1%3Dval
ue1%26param2%3Dvalue2

Then your redirect page just calls the redirect like this:
Response.Redirect(Request.QueryString("page"))

And you're done.

HTH,

Gary