[thelist] Navigation design

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Tue Jul 8 12:53:41 CDT 2003

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>can take a look and confirm I'm working along the right lines that would
>be great. http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/amazing/navtest3.html

The idea looks good, but I had one quick thought.  At the second level
of navigation, you are 'highlighting' the current page -- Article2 --
but you are using a different color scheme to indicate the active page.
In my experience you should strive for consistency.  Use the
purple-on-yellow again, just like you do at the top level.
Inconsistency means the user will not stop, notice the navigation, and
think about it.  Consistency on the other hand means that the user will
never have to think about it.  Ideal navigation should be so obvious
that the user doesn't notice it.  The user is there for the content, not
for your navigation system.

Steve