[thelist] site review *please*

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Tue Jul 8 13:19:06 CDT 2003

Kristof Neirynck wrote:

 > Please can I have a review of <www.gregfoto.com>.

Visually a nice site.  The feel and tone are appropriate to the content,
which is perhaps the hardest thing to quantify.  No need, as you have
done a great job with that.

On the home page: The main photo + caption are links but it is not
obvious why.  They lead to portraits.  I see why, but until the user has
browsed the side a bit they will feel lost, this is a deep link and it
is unclear why.  I would suggest that you unlink the photo and the
subject's name, but add a link that says where you will be taking the
user, probably after the caption.  The word 'Projects' would appear to
be a link because of the pretty box around the word, but it is
not--removing the box and indicating that this is a header with size
alone would be enough.  The center alignment of the 'projects' items on
the home page doesn't look that good to me either. If you can put the
photo and the following text in a single block element (a div or at
least a table) and center the block element only, I believe it would
look better..

Elsewhere, the words under portfolio items are not clickable but the
images above them are; both should be links.  This problem extends to
features as well.  Also on features, the roll-overs on the image really
should work anywhere within the boxes, usability no-no when you have
roll-over text that then disappears as soon as the mouse moves to where
the roll-over appears.  Better yet, dont hide the roll-over text in the
first place, make it show up so the user doesn't have to coerce it from
the page.  On the contact page, it is not at all clear why we can
contact those five other people, and it makes sense that at least Greg
ought to be selected by default if you must present the other 5 names on
the form.  The background of the biog page clashes with the rest of the
sight in my opinion.

I would second the comments of everyone else as well; think they were
all fine suggestions. The most important one, however, would be do not
use images for text, followed by the suggestion to tone down the
intensity of the color background areas.  High saturation color tends to
blur any text around it, on CRT monitors anyway.

hth
Steve