[thelist] ASP: Cookie - expire

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Jul 8 20:31:13 CDT 2003

The Dictionary object is an intrinsic Window Sripting Object, so it's not
tied to the OS per se. You can install the latest Windows Script (v5.6) on
NT if you want, and you'd have exactly the same Dictionary object as you do
on Windows2000 or WindowsXP or Windows2003.

I haven't looked at this issue for ages (ever since the early days with IIS
v4 when people stopped using the Dictionary in session scope), but I'm
pretty sure that it's still apartment threaded. The reason that Anthony's
not seeing any problems might be explained by enhancements to the underlying
IIS architecture between v4 and v5 that allow IIS to work much more
efficiently.

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Cowan" <evolt at funkwit.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [thelist] ASP: Cookie - expire

: Anthony wrote:
: > That was true with IIS 4 (NT 4), but I don't think that is true with II5
: > (Win2K).
:
: Indeed. I wasn't sure about that, but if you look at the registry key
: which contains the threading model (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\
: {EE09B103-97E0-11CF-978F-00A02463E06F}\InprocServer32), you'll see
: that it's still flagged as "Apartment" on an IIS 5 install.
:
: (At least, it is on ours...)
:
: Not sure what effect this has on performance in IIS 5 as opposed to 4
: though.
:
: Cheers,
: