[thelist] PHP html Feed modifying/parsing

Razzak Jallow razzak at mac.com
Wed Jul 9 02:55:38 CDT 2003

Hey,

Not sure of parsing is the right word...

A friend of mine has a list on his site that I'd like to include on my
site.  He said it's fine and so I want to know how to do the following:

1) Have the server download the page every hour and store it locally on
my server.
2) Search it to find the text <a href= ... </a> AFTER a certain point
in the document <---startlist--> for example.
3) Save that information to a file that can be easily included on pages.

I assume the first part would need some kind of cron job or something
different than php.  Not really sure how I'd implement that.  If
absolutely necessary I could set something up to do it once a day.  The
important part is step 2.

I'm not asking you to do this for me, but if you could give me a link
to a tutorial which i've had trouble finding via google or at least a
list of the functions I'll need in PHP.  I've been looking through the
PHP.net manual and there's 10 billion str functions.

I'm just looking for a place to start. Thanks in advance