[thelist] Tabbed Menu Recommendations

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Wed Jul 9 14:28:34 CDT 2003

Hello Listees,

  Wanted to get some opinions on tabbed menus. I am considering
  implementing them for a client website, but I am having trouble
  finding one that works as desired on most of the popular browsers.

  The one I've found so far is the tabbed menu from webfx. Its nice,
  all CSS, easy to customize, but I'm having some issues in regards to
  interfacing with it. For example, I have yet to figure out how to
  formulate a link so that a particular tab is selected, and how to
  select a tab to be opened by default.

  I've come here in hopes that someone else has come up with this
  problem, and can save me some time googling (please, I'm at a
  location without broadband, and email alone is killing me).

  What I'm looking for is a tabbed menu that's relatively browser
  friendly. Minor display quirks I can deal with, but it completely
  not displaying, bombing out, etc can't be acceptable. Also, it needs
  to have some sort of API where I can dynamically control it. It
  would be nice if when clicking on a tab, you can fire off an event
  in addition to the appropriate "page" being visible (this is also a
  problem with the tabbed menu from webfx).

  A while back I remember a discussion about tabbed menus, but I
  forget if it was mainly concerned with display issues, or more
  around programming. My mainstay is PHP ... so I would prefer
  something that works with PHP.

Thanks all,
--
Regards,