[thelist] What is the Best Practice for Single Page Redirects?

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Thu Jul 10 21:16:20 CDT 2003

On July 10, 2003 at 15:32, Aredridel wrote:

> > yuck, sounds like a maintenance nightmare to me.  in your opinion,
> > exactly what percentage of the market share actually supports a 301
> > status code?
>
> In my market, 90%.  Good enough for me.

And most importantly, using a 301 (permanent redirect) is what Google prefers.
That server response code has been around a long time and the 90% figure is
prolly really low, thinking about it, any stat you get for a Flash plugin would also
work for this thread, as any browser that can handle that plugin surely will also
know what a 301 response from a web server is. MM says like 98% for Flash or
sumthin'.

>From the horses mouth:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/3.html

Regards,