[thelist] What is the Best Practice for Single Page Redirects?

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Fri Jul 11 08:09:28 CDT 2003

On July 11, 2003 at 8:57, Kevin Martin wrote:

> > redirect 301 /somedirectory/oldfile.html
> > http://www.domain.com/newfile.html
> >
> > careful to maintain the spaces
>
> [Fri Jul 11 08:49:35 2003] [alert] [client 209.1.2.3]
> /var/www/html/.htaccess:
>  Redirect not allowed here
>
> Odd, because my favorite manual agrees with you that it SHOULD
> work in .htaccess.

Is it your own server? Sounds like AllowOverride All is not set in your
conf/httpd.conf file, it's usually just below the ServerName and DocumentRoot
directive.
If you can't access your configuration file, then you'll need to talk to who is
hosting your site and have them do it.

Regards,

	Mark Groen

MG Web Services