[thelist] Help: Navigation Menu Building (with Images)

Dan Slater dslater at zunch.com
Fri Jul 11 19:50:44 CDT 2003

Hi all,

Long time (no beg for help).

Anyhoo, I've searched far and wide for help with this problem, and while
i've come close, i've not found the answer.

I'm trying to build a navigation system that uses nothing but images for
each menu item.  And, on top of that, each item must be a "rollover" with a
normal, over, and on (active) state.

I know, I know, that's easy, but the hard part is that there are submenus
which follow the exact same design, load to the right of the main menu, and
cover up the site's content while "on".

I've seen code for DHTML menus that do exactly what I want, but they are all
built to handle text, not images.   In a perfect world, that's what i'd be
using, but I answer to a higher power (the client) and they want a SPECIFIC
font for navigation - and that requires using images.

Can anyone point me to a site, or discussion thread (i've looked for a
search feature for the list but can't find one) that discusses this?

Even better, could someone point me to a "cut and paste" solution somewhere?
I've googled and searched Macromedia's Dev Exchange with no luck.

The problem i'm having is getting a menu item to "unhide" a div onmouseover,
while still retaining it's "hover" state, and then, when moving the mouse
over the submenu, having that now unhidden div stay visible AND have the
main menu item that called the submenu stay in a hover state.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Slater
Zunch Communications, Inc.
dslater at zunch.com