[thelist] Apache/php configuration problem

Donna Robinson donna at terpsichore.ws
Fri Jul 11 21:32:38 CDT 2003

Hi,

I've been trying to fix this problem for 2 days+nights and am getting
absolutely nowhere. I should state that I am a c hacker and _not_ a
webmistress, by trade :-)

I've built a special-interest site at home on my linux box (Suse 8.2), running
apache 1.3.27 and php 4.3.1.  It is located at http://64.177.28.51/ (the url
hasnt yet propagated thank god) so you can go click and see what's happening.

The site uses (I think) mod_negotiation which is where I think the problem may
be occurring.  The idea is:
we have a file /public.html which only contains the foll:
  <?php include ( "structure.php" ); ?>
and a soft link:
  index.html -> public.html
all nav links are of the form:
  public/articles/an_article.html

On the host server:
# .htaccess
# treat 'public.html' as a directory
Options +MultiViews
(Note: I don't actually have this in my .htaccess at home because I have set
this Option in my httpd.conf file).

# So, given a request for eg. my_site/public/faq.html, apache happily looks
for a dir "public" -- and we magically get shunted off to 'structure.php'
where the foll. takes place:
# dissect the path
$pi = crackpath( getenv("PATH_INFO") );

# look up $pi[file] in the toc
$this_file == $toc[$i][2]
$theHref = $doc_root .$pi['path'];
# output the html
<!DOCTYPE ...
      include( $theHref );
# output rest of the html

I absolutely cannot get this to work on the host server, yet it behaves like
an angel at home - and its driving me nuts.  The BBC are patiently waiting
for the site to get online (they are going to do a feature on it) so you can
see I am v.v.v.v.v.v. concerned :-(

I do hope someone can shed some light on this matter.

Donna