[thelist] Strategy for getting visitors to a Web site

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Mon Jul 14 16:36:06 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 11:11:54PM +0200, Richard Bennett wrote:
> Way over my head, and I regard myself as being interested in new
> technologies and willing to invest time to learn, but I only made it half
> way down that page and I'd nodded off.

I don't think the concepts are over your head. But I do think the article
is about twice as long as it needs to be. Mentally editing as I went
through I could easily cut out at least half of each paragraph by removing
statements like:
	"But, even humans struggle with this problem They need help
	themselves. However, they can get this help from the master
	strategist, Mother Nature, who has found a way to solve this problem
	simply and efficiently by using an evolutionary strategy."

	"I know this may seem to be a load of nonsense, but bear with me a
	moment. This technique is fiendishly clever."

Peter -- I've read some of your print material (specifically Magical
A-Life Avatars). I enjoy reading your words in print. Unfortunately online
I find it too hard to digest the message you are presenting. Perhaps it is
the multiline sentences, or simply the length of the articles. Either way,
I'm not getting it.

I've been to the site twice based on emails that have
appeared on this site. Both times I've stayed only a short time and have
not returned to the site later to try and understand what I missed the
first time. This is unfortunate as I am interested in self-organizing
systems especially through the works of people like Jane Jacobs and Janine
Benyus.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin