[thelist] stuck using cf4.5? upgrade to cfmx - no to PHP

Buffington, Michael michael.buffington at office.xerox.com
Thu Jul 17 08:36:21 CDT 2003

So here I am, developing enterprise level applications with a middleware app (which happens to be ColdFusion), and in the background an all out war about analogies, ColdFusion vs. PHP, benchmarks, over zealous Linux geeks and so on is brewing and getting ugly.

I was exercising excellent restraint until someone pulled the biggest boner move. The mistake of all heated debates. The "well your [religious thing] is just stupid because I say so" argument.

Andrew, I think that the link you posted is childish. It's not even funny, because, with just as much ease, the same stupid "tech books" joke could be made for PHP, or Perl, or Zope, or ASP, or whatever. It's not constructive by any means. If someone were trying to make a decision between PHP and ColdFusion, pointing out the flaws in one without pointing out the flaws in the other is useless. And to say one is perfect is always going to be 100% incorrect.

Jeff is defending his position. From what I gather, his position is that he thinks ColdFusion is better (something I agree with, but it's not the point I'm trying to make). Jeff is saying, that what it boils down to, is that switching from CF 4.5 to PHP is probably not a good idea. I agree. If it were the other way around, and Jeff were saying it's not a good idea to switch from PHP to CF 4.5, I'd also agree.

But then there's all this talk of OS's and CFMX vs. PHP and a whole bunch of other incendiary things. The problem, both middleware apps run on nearly all OS's, so the possible combinations are great.

Personally, I think it comes down to a bunch of factors:
Cost (this includes time and money, despite the cliché, they are the same from a business perspective)
What the middleware can do.
Speed of development.
Support.
Stability.

For me, CFMX comes out as a winner, but for others, it might be PHP, or Zope or whatever. If you want to compare just PHP to CFMX, let's get that one going, but leave things like Windows and Apache out of it, it doesn't apply.

[snip]
Can you recommend a book Jeff is this a good book?

http://www.inforingpress.com/info-tech-careers/coldfusion.htm
[/snip]