[thelist] Re: [PHP-DB] Tricky Database Question

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Thu Jul 17 17:53:35 CDT 2003

What about a 5th table which stores metadata:

table metadata:
    mdid    mediumint unsigned not null auto_increment
    table   varchar(15) not null
    xid     mediumint unsigned not null
    name   varchar(25) not null
    val    varchar(25) not null

The table will have all the metadata you need for any table you create.

If you want to add a "Cell Phone #" to an Owner:

   insert into metadata (table,xid,name,val) values
   ("Owner", 35, "Cell Phone #", "212-555-1212")

Now when you want to see all the metadata for a given owner, let's say you
(Sam) are Owner ID 35.   Just show all the data you are sure almost all
owners will have (home phone, address, email, etc), then do a select from
metadata where table="Owner" and xid=35.

Do that for Breed or Species and you have an unlimited but space-conscious
way to store that data.

Peter