[thelist] mySQL questions

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Thu Jul 17 23:05:09 CDT 2003

At 04:16 PM 2003-07-17 -0700, you wrote:
>1 - I created a new DB and somehow some kind of templates were
>created - tplconfig.php, cooltemplate2.php. Not knowing what these
>were I deleted them which appears to have been a mistake.

Are you using a system called PLESK?

>2 - What is the best data format to use for a large body of text
>(such as an article) in my database. Right now I have longtext, but I
>don't really understand the differences.

Longtext should be fine. It's the biggest you'll get.

CHAR
A fixed-length string that is always right-padded with spaces to the
specified length when stored

The range of Length is 1 to 255 characters. Trailing spaces are removed
when the value is retrieved. CHAR values are sorted and compared in
case-insensitive fashion according to the default character set unless the
BINARY keyword is given

VARCHAR
A variable-length string. Note: Trailing spaces are removed when the value
is stored (this differs from the ANSI SQL specification)

The range of Length is 1 to 255 characters. VARCHAR values are sorted and
compared in case-insensitive fashion unless the BINARY keyword is given

TINYBLOB,TINYTEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 255 (2^8 - 1) characters

BLOB,TEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 65535 (2^16 - 1) characters

MEDIUMBLOB,MEDIUMTEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 16777215 (2^24 - 1) characters

LONGBLOB,LONGTEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 4294967295 (2^32 - 1) characters

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.