[thelist] Chat/IM Applications

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Sat Jul 19 23:00:14 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 10:51, bruce wrote:
> Hey...
>
> A quick question.... Does anyone know of good open source applications for
> IM/Chat. We're doing some quick research and wanted to get some
> good/quick/simple feedback on what people may have implemented, and the
> good/bad that you've seen.

Jabber!

I run a jabber server, trivial to set up with PLD GNU/Linux, probably
similar on Debian, and I hear it's not bad under Redhat and Mandrake.

Exodus makes a dandy client under win32, and I'm happy with both PSI and
gnome-jabber (CVS on that one) for X-Windows.  Gabber's nice if you have
GNOME1 installed.  All of the above are open source.

> Your experiences as either ADmin/User would also be helpful....
>
> We're looking for something similar to what Yahoo provides, but it doesn't
> need to scale that much!! We know Jabber provides the IM functionality.. but
> we're not sure if it has the Chat, nor are we sure there's not something
> that's better.. And again, we're also looking for ease of use....

The jabber MUC (multi-user-chat) component was standardized recently,
and the latest release works well.

> We'd also like to be able to embed the Chat function into a web page... The
> IM can be a stand alone client app...

That's doable with some of the jabber projects out there.  Try
jabberstudio.org for some links.

Ari