[thelist] [html] Browser test please

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sun Jul 20 06:13:08 CDT 2003

Hi,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Olson" <joshua at waetech.com>
> Hi gang,
>
> I built a simple expando-nav and I'd like some browser tests, if possible.
> I've already tested it on PC with IE6, Moz 1, and NS 6.  It's designed to
> only work with JavaScript enabled (this is destined for a semi-controlled
> environment).  I'm not concerned with NN 4.x compatibility.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> http://concepts.waetech.com/expando_nav/

It looks good, and works well - but...

though.
Doing that will make the links accessible to search-engines, allow
navigating it with the [tab] key, make it work just fine with javascript
disabled, in NS4 and on PDA, and allow you to open nodes by appending the
name to the URL (blah.html#people) .
In modern browsers they can be styled just like div's, so I can't see why
not to use <a>s.
In fact, I go one step further, and embed the <a>s in a definition list,
this makes the list more semanticaly correct, and allows it to be displayed
neatly on PDA, but that was not one of your requirements.

If you don't want to change to <a>, you really should include a <noscript>
tag with the links in it for search-engines. (although they won't have the
same impact as they would in regular links), or have the main links at the
bottom of the page, as a secondary navigation.

As it is, it's one of the neater menus around though, I like the simple html
code, with no javascript, or IDs in it.

Cheers,
Richard.