[thelist] Credit Card Scams, Legal Measures

tkissinger at softhome.net tkissinger at softhome.net
Mon Jul 21 09:37:12 CDT 2003

Hi people,

I got a Paypal scam mail today, the third or fourth I've got in the last
couple of months. it was realistic enough that I was blithely filling it in
(yeah, it arrived before the coffee), until it asked for a bank PIN number.
I've seen them for other sites too - Amazon, eBay, etc.

I'm sure that the victims of these scams can get their cards blocked and
reissued without too much trouble, but do the sites that the scammers are
using names and livery from have any legal recourse? I'd imagine that Paypal
have considerably more legal resources than, say, my Dad, if he mistakenly
fills one in.

Thanks,
Tom.