[thelist] List digest truncated

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Jul 21 17:30:45 CDT 2003

At 12:56 PM 7/21/3, Alistair McDonald wrote:
> For the last few issues, my list digest has listed around
> 30 items, but the digest is truncated after about 10 messages.
> Has anyone else experienced this?

I heard of a similar case once, which resolved to the digest-making
software in question being sensitive to a newline which contains a single
period in the starting position.

One way to check such a character-sensitivity is if you visit the list's
web-based archive, and compare the last message you saw in your digest to
the contents of successive messages at evolt.org... this could show what
characters weren't shown.

Another possibility might be the emailer you're using to read the digest...
if it renders HTML it could have problems with things it considers
malformed HTML. (I use an ASCII emailer myself... more secure.)

Hmm... it's a longshot, but just to test whether this is the same "period
truncates digest" that I saw on another list, I'll put a single period
after this paragraph. If you see the digest truncate at this point, then
we've got a smoking gun. Ready? Set? Go!

.

(Wow, that was exciting, real live troubleshooting in email, cool.... ;-)

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd