[thelist] Automatically generating a SWF

Tim Burgan burgan at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jul 21 20:06:53 CDT 2003

Thanks for the reply John,

I will be using a Windows 2000 Server.

I'll try to clarify.. my goal is to have:

1) Users (with a microphone attached to their computer) record an audio file
to their hard drive by using my website interface. Then once they've
recorded the file. It is converted to MP3.

2) My website then takes that MP3 and adds it to (Layer 1, Frame 1) of a
FLASH file (with the STREAM property). Where the audio ends in the flash
file a KEYFRAME needs to be created to give the "stop()" actionscript. Then
a SWF must be created of that FLA.

3) The FLA is then deleted. The SWF is saved on my web server to the Users
login area, where it is embedded into a webpage template.

4) Each user is given their own dynamic URL. ie
http://www.example.com/id=12342 that is created from the template in STEP 3.
When someone visits that users URL, their SWF (which is just a flash file
containing audio and no graphics) is played for the new visitor to hear.

Hopefully that's a little clearer.

I have absolutely NO idea how to go about doing this.
I will be doing a large amount of the site coding in ASP.

Any assistance would be wonderful.

Regards

Tim Burgan

----- John's Message -----

I'm not clear on the goal, sorry. An ASP/HTML page is a document, not an
application... I'm guessing you might be looking at doing some SWF
manipulation within an ASP server, but I'm not sure.

> Specifically, I want users on my site be able to select an
> audio file which they like, and I want to be able to take that
> audio file (WAV) and IMPORT it into layer 1 frame 1 of a SWF.

That's also ambiguous for me too, sorry. Chris had some suggestions. That
word "import" leads me to suspect you're thinking about choosing a file
from the visitor's local file system, but I'm not sure of that. That
specificity of "layer 1 frame 1" also makes me wonder whether you're trying
to actually physically construct a new file, rather than just letting
people choose what they want to hear.