[thelist] [IIS] Application Protection setting blowup up the site

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Jul 21 21:38:30 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Schaefer" <ken at adOpenStatic.com>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 9:39 PM

> However, until you post some details about what your pages are doing (eg
> have you tried a simple page that doesn't use anything except the
intrinsic
> ASP objects), and what error messages you are getting (on screen, and also
> in the Windows Event Logs), we're probably just going to be offering
> speculative answers...

Ken,

Unfortunately, the last server that did this (earlier today) is not under my
control and I cannot reproduce the results.  However, the admin that was
troubleshooting before they called me was smart enough to make a simple
test.  They created a simple text file that contained nothing but "Hello,
world."  Nothing fancy, no script, no anything.

With a .htm extension it worked as expected.  When the file was changed to
.asp and the URL was changed to match, we got back the "Server Application
Error":

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during the
processing of your request. Please refer to the event log for more detail
information. Please contact the server administrator for assistance.

We'll check the IWAM account probably tomorrow and see if that's the
problem.

A big thank you to everybody who has pondered this issue for me.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com