[thelist] PHP Perl Apache security

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Mon Jul 21 23:40:23 CDT 2003

> Your mod_proxy "hack" looks like it is a different way to accomplish the
> same isolation as perchild, but the above 3 points do seem to be an
> improvement over perchild. Especially the "tried-and-true" comment,
> considering that after 2 years of development Apache still does not
> actually recommend using perchild. Don't take my "hack" comment as
> derisive, afterall, Apache itself is just a bundle of patches and hacks.
>
> Think I'll give it a try Ari, THANKS!!

Sure thing.  I've been thinking about this for a while, because I'm
going to have to implement similar at some point -- my users are getting
numerous enough to start stepping on toes or want real security.

Honestly, perchild is stable enough -- if you don't use PHP. The
threaded MPMs aren't great for PHP with some extensions enabled... some
of the extensions aren't reentrant.

Ari