[thelist] favicon weirdness

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Tue Jul 22 18:47:16 CDT 2003

I been gone for 6 months and you guys are STILL on this topic?!?! The only
thing that seems to change on this topic is the Subject: line it gets
attached to.

>crank up win/ie6 and head to http://oddpost.com/.
>
>.jeff

Excellent example Jeff!  Oddpost is one of the best web applications to
leap off the desktop and out onto the web. I know, that just weirds some
people out to the max to see a Win app running loose, gives 'em the
heeby-geebies to even look at it, sends 'em out running through the streets
wailing, "The Win apps is commin', the Win apps is comin', hide your
daughters, the Win apps is commin'".

We have a site with over 700 regulars who use their exercise calendars
every day. They can edit their calendars right on the day because we're
using IE's contentEditable attribute. They never "submit" any changes and
yet when they come back the next day it's just like they left it because we
are automatically saving to the server in the background. No annoying page
flip-flop to communicate with the server, no out of place form fields to
type into, they edit in-place and all those geeky details about why it's
there tomorrow are kept out of view. Most users confess that it's kinda
weird the first time, but then think it's kinda weird that they've never
seen it before because it feels so natural.

So what if it doesn't run in some cult browser or on somebody's home grown
operating system? It works great for the people who use it and that's the
only real criteria that counts. We do feel sorry for the guy who damn near
drowned himself when he got tangled up in his ski poles, but we're not
going to rip out the boat dock over it.

Keith
cache at dowebscentral.com