[thelist] in-principle, PHP/mySQL shopping basket question

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Jul 23 13:56:15 CDT 2003

Hassan Schroeder <mailto:hassan at webtuitive.com>
    on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 10:47 AM said:

> Gack. Servlet engines (Java/JSP) allow you to run your own methods
> when the session is ended (manually or by timeout) -- doesn't PHP
> have anything like that?

But Java isn't an interpreted language is it? What I mean by that is,
isn't it a bit more powerful than a regular scripting language such as
PHP or ASP? Can't it just sit around in the background and wait for
something to happen?

I don't really know anything about Java or JSP so those questions are
asked in ignorance.

> <example_code origin="another homebrewed shopping cart">

Don't dis the homebrew man! ;)

I know that in my case (assuming I can actually finish the cart, which I
think I can) it will make our behind-the-scenes web operation a lot
easier and smoother. I've checked out packaged stores like osCommerce
(among others) and they would not make things any easier than they
already are. It's a disaster right now using the store we have now (an
old version of StoreFront from LaGarde, blagh!).

Chris.