[thelist] Hiveware email address encoder

Stephen Caudill SCaudill at municode.com
Thu Jul 24 07:53:25 CDT 2003

  Just to chime in with my2c, as Rudy mentioned, that's what <noscript>
is for.  I'm currently using a javascript for email obfuscation of
mailto: links (as an aside, another benefit of the mailto: is you
*definitely* get a real email address for someone contacting you) in
combination with <noscript> tags which contain a contact form and am
very happy with this scheme.  See:
http://www.municode.com/index.asp?nav=1&id=2 with javascript on and
off.
  Furthermore, if you aren't doing your part as a developer to
lessen the amount of spam your organization receives before it ever
hits your filters, IMO, you're asleep at the wheel.

-Stephen
http://www.mechavox.com

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003 6:54 PM, Jeff Howden commented:
: more importantly though, does the technique create barriers to users
: trying contacting you?  for those using browsers that don't support
: javascript or have javascript disabled, it's a resounding yes.  the
: hiveware enkoder does not degrade to a usable format for any of these
: users.  for a personal site that's probably ok.  for a corporate site
: it's most likely a deafening no.
:
: .jeff