[thelist] spam, filters, etc (was hiveware)

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 15:22:41 CDT 2003

--- Norman MacLeod <gaelwolf at waypt.com> wrote:

> I think of e-mail address harvesting as something akin to someone
> going through the landfill and writing down all of the addresses
> found in people's trash. [snip]

Sure, so do lot's of people. What does it have to do with filters!
Nothing! The Hiveware enkoder is there to put on my page so *I* can
cut down on my spam from email harvesters. Filters help me do the
same thing.

This is a *SEPARATE* issue from the fact that people actually DO
email harvesting. The enkoder was made in RESPONSE to email
harvesting.

It's not a "filters vs. email harvesting" issue at all. Am I the only
one who sees this discussion as completely disjointed?

Filters are a necessary evil. Email harvesting is evil. The enkoder
is a nice tool should you choose to use it. It might help, it might
not.

arrrgh!

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: Premium Content Author / JavaScript / Every Friday!
http://www.maccaws.com/ :: Group Leader

"That's not art, that's just annoying." -- Squidward