[thelist] Hiveware email address encoder

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Jul 24 15:34:56 CDT 2003

Norman MacLeod <mailto:gaelwolf at waypt.com>
    on Thursday, July 24, 2003 12:55 PM said:

> Spam filters are far too unreliable at this point to be considered
> dependable for mission-critical processes.  We spend time going
> through our service provider's Spam Assassin catch-box, sorting out
> the business related messages and whitelisting addresses we wish to
> receive mail from.  Some days I'd really prefer to opt to get the
> whole avalanche, simply because it's so much quicker to use the
> delete key than it is to sift through a long list of addresses and
> message subject lines.

The problem in your situation is that you guys aren't implementing your
spam solution in the best way.

I agree that it'd be much faster to just receive all the spam into you
mailbox and get rid of it instead of needing to sift through a "folder"
of spam, or navigate to a third party's website.

We use a program called MailScanner and I don't know if this is a
feature of MailScanner or spamassassin (MailScanner integrates with
spamassassin), but you can set up two spam scores. Regular and high.
Right now our regular spam score is set at 4. Our high spam score is set
at 9. I have it set up so that a regular spam (from 4 to 8.9 points)
gets sent to the users inbox with {Spam?} in the subject line. If the
spam score on the email is >= 9 it gets deleted straight out and never
sees the users inbox.

We feel deleting the high scoring spam is safe because it's very
unlikely for a false positive to get such as high score as 9, therefore
it's very likely legitimate spam and can be deleted.

I will at some point lower the high spam score to 8 MAYBE 7.

htgyai*,
chris.

* Hope that gives you an idea.