[thelist] Hiveware email address encoder

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Thu Jul 24 17:05:34 CDT 2003

> I've seen this comment a few times now.

only once from me    ;o)

however, i'll give it another shot (hopefully my last)

> How do you suggest I as an individual "not condone email harvesting"?

by making sure that your email cannot be picked up by spambots

> Okay, I don't condone it.  Wait, my mailbox is still filling up.

yeah, like "all we need is love" -- oops, another war

the thing about spam is that it <em>does</em> cost you

and as long as we're discussing things rationally, may i suggest that the
cost of dealing with spam is threefold -- the cost to set up a filter, the
cost to manage the filter on an ongoing basis (e.g. looking through the spam
folder for false positives), and the cost of wasted network cycles

compare this to the lost sales revenue of a couple of dumber-than-bricks
(note: this epithet is not specifically aimed at anybody's parents)
potential customers who cannot figure out "joe at acme dot com"

dismissing a scheme which does not provide 100% access to absolutely
everybody, which unfortunately include spambots, just because a couple of
people wouldn't "get it" is a sad argument for accepting the onslaught of
spam, because that'll sure as heck cost you

rudy