[thelist] CSS: left nav and content area colours not filling to footer

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Fri Jul 25 11:33:43 CDT 2003

>do a google for:
>3 column stretch

I just did this, and looked through several of the top results. Of the ones
that were similar to the layout I am trying to achieve, all were using a
background image to create the desired effect.

As I mentioned before, this is a trick I have used before, and am willing
to use again if absolutely necessary. I was just hoping that this could be
done in pure CSS, rather than using images to do what CSS should be able to
do. It reminds me too much of using pixel gifs to create a layout, and I
haven't known anyone on thelist to recommend that.

My understanding is that "height: 100%;" should force a div to stretch to
the height of it's container, but this does not seem to work - if it did,
then adding the background image to the container would not be necessary.
Can anyone confirm or deny that this is how "height: 100%;" is supposed to
work? If it is not, than I guess I will have to keep using a background
image, but if it is, than at least I can have hope that future browsers
will support this :)

Sarah