[thelist] The Spam Argument

Frank lists at frankmarion.com
Fri Jul 25 11:28:30 CDT 2003

At 11:02 AM 2003-07-25 -0500, you wrote:
>Another angle on the argument of arrest or prosecute the spammer rather
>than the company who hired the spammer...

Under what charge? It's not illegal to send unsolicited commercial email if
it's honest in every respect, any more than some guy trying to pick you up
at a bar. A nuisance perhaps, but what charge and penalty do you assign?
Jail time for a single mother of two successfully raising healthy children?
Again, I see that "us vs them" attitude, and it still won't solve the
fundamental issues-- that people will do what it takes to survive because
the system is set up so.

I see only one solution, and that starts with the consumer, not the
marketer trying to get their message out, no matter how much of a nuisance
they might make of themselves. (Most) marketers aren't stupid they don't
waste their time on things that don't work. (I've yet to receive an email
saying "F*ck you! You suck! Give me your money, goof!")

--
Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.