[thelist] Hiveware email address encoder

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Jul 26 10:33:36 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <rudy937 at rogers.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 8:26 AM

> your idea works great, by the way

Thanks.

> i did not understand why you had to have a hidden field (or why you would
> use a hardcoded IP number)
>
> wouldn't the gif do as a form field?
>
> or is a type="image" INPUT not submitted with the form ?

Rudy,

My reasoning is not 100% thought out, but here's my reasoning...

I've watched search engines index my site quite a few times.  Usually, they
index a couple pages here, a couple pages there, often from different IP's.
My theory is that one day SE's _may_ start to submit forms.  Here's exactly
how the logic works on this example:

1.  The IP address in the form is the IP address of the visitor.
2.  On page 2, the IP address submitted with the form is compared against
the IP address of the visitor.
3.  If they don't match, the user is booted back to page 1.

The SE's start submitting forms, I'm hoping that there is at least a remote
chance that server that records the form and then another server comes back
later on to see what's behind the form.  Since the servers are different,
the SE still cannot get to page 2.

I suppose in reality it's not necessary at this time.  I suppose an entry in
the robots.txt file would accomplish the same thing, eh?

The reason I didn't rely on the input type="image" tag to be submitted is
that it won't be submitted [consistently on all browsers] with the form if
the user happens to press enter on a form field, thereby submitting the
form.  In this case it's a non-factor since the only thing that the form
contains is the image submit button, but it's old habit not to rely on the
image being clicked with the mouse.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.