[thelist] would-be linux desktop user

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Sun Jul 27 23:57:40 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 20:31, pete wrote:
> I am a long term windows developer that ultimately would like to jump ship
> and work in a LAMP world. However, my primary client employs me to
> maintain a complex platform solution that involves many proprietary
> windows technologies. That said, I have been taking stock of what I
> actually use that is windows dependant, and there are really two
> applications that keep me in win32 world:
>
> Microsoft SQL Enterprise Manager
> and
> Allaire Homesite 5.0
>
> with the obvious runner up, MS IE 6.0 being something that is not so
> easily replaced.

Actually, I run it under wine with success.

Homesite may as well.  SQL enterprise manager? No idea.

> If there are applications that can mimic the functionality of these
> programs, I could probably use a linux desktop as my primary environment.
>
> There are lots of programs that can connect to an MS-SQL database and do
> basic things like adding tables, but I have yet to see anything that
> allows access to scheduling, backups, transaction packages, and
> replication.

Good luck on that one.  VNC or Terminal Services to the windows box when
you have to, otherwise, use Linux.

> Likewise, Homesite is the best coding environment I've ever encountered,
> and I've tried most of them. Among other things, it has really good FTP
> integration, a well thought out user interface, and powerful site wide
> search and replace.

Y' might see if anyone has used wine on it.  I've also heard that Wine
under the new (2.5/2.6) kernels is far more usable.  I've not confirmed
that yet, though.

> Are there any other evolters out there that develop for the ms platform
> while running linux/bsd?

I count a bit, but mostly I just ditched windows when I realized that I
was worth $25/hour coding windows, $35/hour fixing windows and $50/hour
maintaining servers for the local ISP...

Ari