[thelist] rentacoder.com

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 11:06:48 CDT 2003

Hi...

Been more or less following this thread.... As much as one might complain
about cheap software developers, what's starting to occur in the world of
software is no different than what's occured in many other industries
throughout history...

New things supplant old things, technology makes some industries obsolete,
etc... I recall that there used to be rows of guys doing drafting work in
certain companies, Cad-Cam applications ripped that profession to shreds...
While the draftsman complained, technology continued!!!

The world of technology is really strange in that you have a group of people
who are literally dedicated to putting others out of work!! The software app
that you're working on with certain features, might provide the same
functionality as some other app, except yours might be cheaper... The guy
who has the first app might complain, he now has to lay off someone, you
say.."..hey..innovate..etc.."..

But you don't really care as to the pain he might feel... Likewise, the guy
in India who's working for $7.00/hour doesn't really think about the pain
you might feel doing software in Atlanta, or whereever... And in fact, the
quality is reasonably comparable... The barriers to developing software in a
distributed fashion are being removed... It's becoming a different world...

I've been comptemplating what's really required to create a development
environment, in terms of what apps one needs to put together an environment
where you can have a project be developed 24 hours a day... Most of the
pieces are there, and as it gets easier/more robust, it allows more
applications to be developed in this fashion, with fewer probs....thereby
compounding the problem....

One should also think of the effect Open Source has on the world of Software
Development... Does Open Source cause jobs to be lost/reduce wages in the
world of Software Development? I don't believe there have been any
significant economic studies to answer this issue... The company that gets a
good quality app says, hey Open Source is great!!! The company that has to
compete against the app say's it's not a good thing...!!!

No matter what is done, you're not going to stop someone from getting a
cheap developer to create an app...

Perhaps, you might have a leveling of the cost of creating an app... But
then the question is...Is the guy costing $6,000/year right..or the guy
costing $50,000/year???? The one costing $50,000 is praying that he's
right!! otherwise, he needs to find a new job!!

I've often said that if you really want job security... you need to find a
profession that requires your customers to get the services you provide from
the local community...therefore, your competition will have basically the
same costs as you...

Unfortunately, this gets to hamburger flipper...Plumber..Construction
worker, etc... Trash collector...etc... Physical work....

By the way... The same thing wil hapeen to Financial Services as well,
etc...

Peace...

Bruce
bedouglas at earthlink.net