[thelist] Validating Code

Charlie Griefer thelist at griefer.com
Mon Jul 28 16:42:04 CDT 2003

Hey List:

My company has finally agreed to start validating code before putting it
live.  Now all I need is to come up with a way to do it.

Here's the obstacle(s):

1) we're behind a proxy/firewall, so we can't use the w3's online validator.
I know they have a downloadable version, but I'm not a PERL person...nor do
we have any PERL people on staff.  If there are other alternatives, I'd like
to explore them before delving into downloading the w3 validator.

2) we are using ColdFusion and using either Dreamweaver or HomeSite+ as our
IDEs.  If we try to use the validators built into the IDE's, it doesn't
crawl the web pages...it simply tries to validate the static document.  This
doesn't work too well.  It chokes on things like cf comments (suggesting to
change the <!--- to &lt;!--- ).  Plus we have many pages modularized, so not
all documents have DTDs.  For these reasons, we need something that
essentially crawls the parsed page and validates that.

So is anybody aware of any applications that we can install behind our
firewall that will crawl our Web pages and validate (XHTML 1.0 Transitional
at this point, if that matters).

Thanks much!
Charlie