[thelist] Radio button tab problem

Sarah poohbear at designshift.com
Wed Jul 30 10:19:33 CDT 2003

>I have a form which requires grouped radio buttons i.e. only 1 button in the
>group can be selected at any one time.
>
>Now when an IE user uses the tab key to navigate the form it will only tab
>to either the 1st button (if none are selected) or the selected button so it
>is impossible to tab between all the radio buttons on the form. It seems to
>work OK with Opera and Mozilla but not with IE. I can give each radio button
>a different name and IE will then tab happily between the buttons but that
>breaks the grouping...
>
>Any workarounds without using JavaScript?

When you tab onto the radio button group in IE, you can move back and forth
through the group with the up and down arrows on your keyboard. It's
probably best to leave this functionality as it is, otherwise you're
messing with the default behaviour of the browser, which is bad - I'm sure
others on the list could give you ample reasons why :)

Sarah