[thelist] Message Archive - MySQL

Chris Marsh chris at ecleanuk.com
Wed Jul 30 10:28:44 CDT 2003

Simon

[..]

> A better way of doing this may be to have a 'flag' in the
> message table called 'deleted', which can be set to true or

Thanks for the suggestion. This is similar to the way I would normally
set things up, but causes me substantial problems with the system that I
have inherited. There is already a status field in the table, with
values for 'read' and 'unread' (r and n respectively). I could either
add another field as you suggest, or simply add another category (d for
deleted). In the latter case we lose the information as to whether or
not the message has been read, but I don't feel that this is critical.
The problem is that after the database change I have a lot of work
within the application to now reflect the change in the database
structure. If I create a backup table, my work is done.

Regards

Chris Marsh