[thelist] [OT] Email Fetching Problem

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Wed Jul 30 10:27:36 CDT 2003

Hello Listees,

  I've been reading the list a lot recently (loved the rentacoder.com
  thread). I would have posted more, save for a problem with my
  current network setup that I'm hoping someone here can shed some
  light on.

  At my current location, my only connection to the internet involves
  going through a HTTP proxy. There are other options to connect, but
  they are very unreliable, and extremely costly. As you might have
  guessed, I am not in the US or in the UK (although I was in the US
  until recently).  I would use another ISP, however, the internet
  connection that has the HTTP proxy is the one from my work, which
  allows me to access non-internet accessible company servers.

  I have two computers (Windows XP Pro / Windows 2000 Pro) that are
  networked (for ICS). The ICS works great. The problem is that when
  using my mail client (The Bat!) I cannot access my POP or SMTP
  server through the HTTP proxy. I have thought about this problem,
  and have come up with a few possible solutions that I would like to
  run my more educated people so that I can get some more opinions :

  1. Install a local POP + SMTP server, that dials out on another ISP
  account and downloads/sends mail. I'm thinking Linux would be best
  for this, but I'm open to Windows suggestions.

  2. Install separate modem in Windows 2000 box and use that to fetch
  email, while using the modem in the Windows XP box for company
  network. Sounds too complicated to me.

  3. Find some sort of program that allows access to POP and SMTP
  servers via HTTP proxy (desirable, but have no clue as to if this
  exists or not).

  Looking forward to your suggestions and input on this :)

  <tip type=".NET" author="Burhan">
   Looking for a good free .NET enabled editor?
   Try the Web Matrix. Its a free editor for .NET
   languages, and comes with a lightweight server that
   you can use to test your scripts.

   Requires IE 5.5+

   http://www.google.com/search?q=web+matrix+editor+download
   </tip>