[thelist] Valid form for meta tags?

Edwin Horneij edwin at lanset.com
Thu Jul 31 00:19:44 CDT 2003

My meta tags look like this:

I am using the HTML 4.01 transitional doctype. When I run a page
through the W3C HTML validator it gives the error message "character
data is not allowed here", while seeming to indicate the forward slash
closing my meta tags. I don't get this error with tags like

so I am confused. The text of the error message says nothing to me, but
I suppose that just shows my ignorance. Are meta tags somehow special?
Are they for some reason not supposed to be closed like the other
non-paired HTML tags?

---

Ed Horneij