Should you go against your Client? (Was: [thelist] MessageArchive -MySQL)

Andy Budd andy at message.uk.com
Thu Jul 31 04:02:41 CDT 2003

Fair enough,

Personally I don't think you need to involve the client in the
underlying workings of a system unless it'll have a serious impact on
cost.

One of the problems with designer/client relations is that clients are
usually in control of every aspect of their business. However when
commissioning a website/IT system they often feel out of the decision
making loop. So when you go to them with a small issue they will often
use it to make their stamp on the project. To feel that they are still
in charge and have contributed.

However because of their lack of expirience in these areas, these kind
of contributions are usually of the negative nature.

The client knows their business and their clients so these are the
areas you should actively engage your client in. Get them making high
level strategic decisions. If you leave the client out of the strategic
planning phase (or even leave out the planning full stop) and present
your client with only small issues, is it any wonder they latch onto
these things.

So I'd say you need to protect yourself (and your client) from these
situation by engaging your client in high level discussions in a domain
they are the expert in, and leave the technical/implementation
discussions to be decided in-house.

Andy