[thelist] CSS backgrounds

David A. Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Thu Jul 31 09:53:02 CDT 2003

<quote who="burgan at iprimus.com.au">
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to work on the following page:
> <http://www.cashflow-manager.com/blah/0051_css-d/temp.htm>
>
> I would like the grey bar to continue between Column 3 and 4 instead of
> stopping like it does. The CSS is embedded into the page at this stage.
> No matter what I try I can't get the bar to continue.

This is what tables are for.  Use the best tool for the job, not the cool
tool.

-davidu

<tip author="David A. Ulevitch" type="Using the best tool">

When designing pages it is often fun to use the 'cool' tool out there but
sometimes the 'cool' tool is not the BEST tool.  Be sure you're using the
best tool you can to get your goal accomplished.  An example of this would
be using CSS for tabular data when TABLES are designed for this specific
function and are far easier to manage than CSS while maintaining almost
all of the flexibility offered by CSS-only design.

</tip>