[thelist] [DNS] Free Tip

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Thu Jul 31 15:56:12 CDT 2003

David A. Ulevitch <davidu at everydns.net> wrote:
> [everydns.net] had a registrar problem the other day which could have
> been way more serious than it was.  Afterwards however it got me
> thinking...we would be MUCH safer if I had people use:
>
> ns.everydns1.net
> ns.everydns2.net
> ns.everydns1.com
> ns.everydns1.com
>
> If [...] registered with different registrars, the diversity of
> the registrars, the TLDs, and the multiple NS entries would be
> *really* good [...] This method throws out good `glue` practice,
> but by using third-party DNS you are doing that anyways so I
> think I might just set it up.
>
> thoughts?

that sounds like an excellent way of doing it!  and don't forget .org,
.info and ...ah nuts-- ".ns" isn't an ISO country code so no TLD!  oh
well, too bad :-)

but seriously.  geographic and (upstream network provider) redundancy
would be nice as well.  David, isn't EveryDNS hosted in Hurricane
Electric's colo facility on the west coast?  ...someone clued me in that
HE also has a colo location in NYC not far from me...

-dave