[thelist] [DNS] Free Tip

David A. Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Thu Jul 31 16:22:00 CDT 2003

<quote who="Joshua Olson">
> Here's my favorite:
>
> dns1.company1.net
> dns2.company1.net
> dns1.company2.net
> dns2.company2.net
> dns1.company3.net
> dns2.company4.net
>
> Three different hosts domains, three different companies, etc.  That way
> one
> companies screw-up won't kill my domain.

That's not a bad way of thinking...the only pain is keeping them all in
sync when you make changes.  If you let them slave off a master you're
kind of defeating the purpose of having them all seperate.

> David, do you mean that you may set up multiple servers on multiple
> domains
> at multiple locations all running under the the EveryDNS umbrella to
> simulate the scenario above and provide maximum redundancy?

Yes, multiple nameservers, multiple locations, all under different
domains+tld combos to even further ensure availability in the event that a
registrar or tld goes fubar.

If I could afford anycast routing, we'd be unstoppable.

-davidu